For many patients, choosing among various infertility treatments can be difficult. In vitro fertilization (IVF) involves fertilizing healthy eggs in a lab environment and then transferring them to the uterus of a patient or surrogate. At the Fertility Center of San Antonio, our team of experienced professionals works with IVF candidates in the San Antonio, TX, area to help them achieve their dreams of parenthood. During your initial consultation, we will review your unique situation to develop a personalized treatment plan. Contact our office today to schedule your appointment.
Who Are Typical IVF Candidates?
IVF treatment has helped a wide range of patients become pregnant. Typical IVF candidates are women who:
- Have Tubal Issues: Since IVF treatment involves fertilizing an egg outside of the body, the fallopian tubes are bypassed entirely. Women who are missing their fallopian tubes, or who have fallopian tubes that are blocked, will often turn to IVF to help them conceive.
- Suffer from Fertility Disorders: Disorders such as endometriosis (a condition in which tissue grows abnormally on the outside of the uterus) or polycystic ovary syndrome (a condition brought on by a hormonal imbalance) can prevent women from naturally conceiving a child. IVF can help women suffering from these conditions become pregnant.
- Experience Abnormal Ovulation Cycles: With the help of fertility drugs, IVF treatment can enable the controlled fertilization of a woman's eggs and cultivation of an embryo. If your ovulation cycle is abnormal, IVF can help you maximize the potential of your eggs.
- Do Not Produce Healthy Eggs: If you are unable to produce healthy eggs, IVF is still a potential treatment option with the use of donor eggs. These eggs will be fertilized with sperm from your partner or a donor.
- Have a Partner with Male Factor Infertility: If your male partner has a low sperm count or cannot produce healthy sperm, IVF may still be an option. In these cases, we can often use intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), a procedure where a single healthy sperm is used to fertilize an egg.
If you are considering IVF treatment, we can review your candidacy during a personal consultation.
Is IVF Right for Me?
It is important to understand that IVF is not right for everyone. There are several conditions that can preclude you from IVF treatment. These include:
- Fibroid tumors
- Ovarian dysfunction
- Abnormal hormone levels
- Uterine abnormalities
Additionally, if you are unable to produce healthy eggs of your own and are not open to the use of donor eggs, then IVF is not for you. Although IVF produces similar pregnancy rates for women of all ages, it is important to remember that women over the age of 40 may be at increased risk for miscarriage. We can discuss this risk with you and answer any questions you may have regarding pregnancy and age.
If you are a candidate for IVF who plans to use your own eggs to carry a child to term, you may be a candidate for Nature’s IVF, also known as INVOcell™. This treatment differs from traditional IVF in that incubation takes place in the hopeful mother's vagina using an FDA-approved device instead of an incubator. Many choose this option because of its more affordable cost and high success rates. We can evaluate your candidacy for this procedure during a consultation.
Contact Us to Learn More
At Fertility Center of San Antonio, we have been helping women achieve their dream of pregnancy for more than 25 years. To review your candidacy for IVF treatment, contact our office today and schedule a consultation.